วันพุธที่ 11 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2555

Onkyo TX-NR809 THX Certified 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black)


not good, (What's this?)
Great receiver, when it works..., (What's this?) **01/15/2012 Update**
Well, I'm now on my second TX-NR809. The first one was DOA. The replacement I received worked perfectly for about two months, but sometime in the last week, the center channel has died on it. I replaced the cable, tried different speakers, different power outlets--you name it; the receiver's center channel output is consistently putting out no sound (via the "Level Calibration" setup menu--when "Center" is selected, there's absolutely no sound--and yes, I tried multiple speakers).

To add insult to injury, Onkyo has disabled the contact form on their support website "due to the holidays". According to Amazon's website, I'm supposedly still within my return window, and I've started that process.

This is a great receiver--when it works. I'm getting tired of *working* on my home theater system, and not being able to sit back and enjoy it. Plus, lugging around a 50lb receiver to ship back gets old. To say I'm disappointed with Onkyo's quality control would be an understatement.

**Original review**
This is a great receiver, once I got a working unit in-hand. The first unit I received, I foolishly (and painstakingly) hooked up every cable to, then powered it on. Bad idea. Hit the power button, and the receiver went "click...click...click", and so on. It would never power on, and nothing ever appeared on the display. I tried multiple power outlets and cables, to no avail. Finally, I had to set up an RMA with the seller, after it was decided by tech support that the unit I had received had a bad power supply.

Fast forward a few days, and I have my replacement receiver in hand. This time, I had enough sense to make sure it would power one BEFORE I hooked everything up. Sure enough, it worked like a charm. With a smile on my face, I proceeded to hook up all my equipment again. Happily, everything worked perfectly upon completion of my set up.
Onkyo TX-NR809 was a great purchase, (What's this?) I upgraded from a previous Onkyo TX-NR unit so that I could get the 3D capability, and I'm glad I did. I want to add HD radio in the near future and this allows me to do so. I've been very happy with this unit.
Wonderful sound but the network UI is weak, I love this receiver but the UI for DLNA and other network playback is relatively weak. Almost not useable if you have a lot of music.

The audio quality, which is what I really care about, is great. The receiver has the umph to deal with larger dynamic range, such as during Beethoven's 9th symphony and Camille Saint-Saens 3rd symphony (the latter being my favorite test of audio systems)

The receiver has tons of inputs and can be configured in many ways. The Audyssey system seems to do great at setting the sound stage and speaker balances.

Plus, the networked remote via oRemote (an iPhone/iPad app) adds significant flexibility. It also helps simplify the complexity of all of the options the receiver supports. (There are so many that the receiver's remote actually has multiple modes for its own buttons, let alone the fact that it supports other devices such as your DVD player, TV, etc.)

Oh, and there is actual mass behind this receiver. From its construction, it is easy to believe that it can actually operate at power for extended periods. That, and its audio quality make it highly recommended. I am sure you can find cheaper units, but all of the ones I listened to also sounded "cheaper" - if sound quality is important, I can recommend the Onkyo 809. Just be sure to use an AppleTV or similar device for your network playback as the UI is weak.

I would always opt for a weak UI with great sound over a great UI with weak sound - especially in my receiver/amplifier.
Happy with it so far, Purchased it about a month ago. So far no problems whatsoever. Works as claimed in manual. Manual though could be more detail. Not tested all functions yet, but main functions works perfect including WiFi through USB (you'll need WiFi USB dongle for this). Would by it again and will recommend it.
Nice and Powerful, but NET feature is slooooow, (What's this?) I replaced a Denon 2311CI with this receiver. I'm happy so far (10 days). Sound quality is the same as the Denon (Onkyos are supposedly brighter than Denons). I played the same three or four tracks before swapping them; they sound the same to my non-audiophile ears. The Onkyo plays louder, as expected since it's 135wpc vs the 105 of the Denon.

I use it to drive a pair of Polk Audio RTI A7s in bi-amp mode (same as the Denon). So far I like it a lot; it's much more feature-laden than the Denon, but not daunting at all if you are tech/AV oriented. I read the manual just in case (it's a PDF file on a CD-Rom).

The one thing that is not working well is the NET feature. I'm using the Onkyo UWF-1 wireless adapter, it's connecting to my wireless G network (18mps U-verse) through DHCP, I configured Vtuner, Pandora, and Last FM, but man, using it is so frustrating it's barely usable. Is it just me? Not sure. First of all, clicking though the radio options takes forever, then half the time it says there are no items in my favorite Vtuner folder (there are); once it accesses them, had the time it says it cannot play them (no explanation given). Even when it does play them, the interface is in color but fairly ugly. In comparison, the Pandora interface on my Samsung Blu-ray DVD player is phenomenal (and fast, and reliable).

The one thing I miss from the Denon is the built-in HD radio; since the NET feature is a dud (please let me know if it's just me, maybe I got a bad 809), I'd love to be able to play the HD radio smooth jazz channel. It worked great on the Denon.

Other than the NET feature, I love this receiver. It sounds great, it's positively massive, it dwarfs the Denon in size and weight (40 lbs vs 26) since it has a massive transformer.

Amazon has a great price on it, with occasional dips that make it an even sweeter deal.

It might also be that the problems I'm having depend on the wireless adapter. I'll try using an Apple Airport Express as a wireless bridge and connect it to the Onkyo via the Ethernet jack. It might solve my slow network features.
Works...Till it dies..., (What's this?) Bought it. Hooked it up. Loved it.

That's how these things should work. It is pushing a 5.1 line of W-Series Klipsch and an Energy M8 sub. Super system in all ways, movie watching is a dream on the Epson 8350 projector.

Until one day, when listening to music on STEREO mode, only 2.1, the unit clicked off. When I tried to turn it back on it only said "Check SP Wire". This is common, but not after 3 months of the same setup working without issue. So I checked the manual and it said, unplug for an hour and try again. It is when I tried again (took everything out the back first of course), that the unit sparked and smoked and died in my hands.

I take no issue to a smart kill switch, but when you follow instructions and the unit practically blows up in your house, well my friends, something is fishy.

To top off the problem, Onkyo will not cover the cost to ship this thing to a service spot. They want me to pay for a 50 lb receiver in shipping that died because I FOLLOWED THEIR INSTRUCTIONS!!!

This is the downfall of this product. When it works it's great, but in a split second, your enjoyment can be killed like that...
Used to be a Denon Guy, (What's this?) For the last 10 years I've owned the 3800 series Denons (several different models). So, when I went to purchase a 3D capable plasma, I knew I needed to upgrade the receiver. I immediately went to the Denon AVR3312CI Denon AVR3312CI Integrated Network A/V Surround Receiver. After seeing several reviews that there were issues with the initial firmware for the Denon, I decided to look around at other models. I'm glad I did!

I saw excellent reviews on the Onkyo and for the price decided to give it a try. Since hooking it up 3 months ago, I have not been disappointed. It drives my Paradigm Monitors with better power and clarity than the old Denon did. The sound is absolutely fantastic for both music and movies.
Not Your PaPa's Receiver, (What's this?) I bought this to replace a high end 6 year old Yamaha receiver. I have had many Yamaha's thru the years but the last few years they have not been competitive. For instance they do not support THX any longer, which is a big mistake IMO.

Not too worry, the Onkyo 809 seems to support everything including THX. Bells and Whistles galore and probably the kitchen sink is in the Menus somewhere. :> Construction wise it is equal to any Yamaha I have owned. It sounds terrific, I mean really terrific. The Video processing is a big plus, especially for Netflix or Amazon streaming. My HDTV has never looked better, it is a noticeably better picture when the Onkyo's Video processing is turned on.

Everything works as advertised. The biggest complaint is Onkyo supplies NO paper manual. This is a real travesty as this is one complicated receiver to learn. I had to print the PDF manual on my own printer. Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning how to use all the functions in this Onkyo 809.
She's Real Fine, My 809!, (What's this?) Totally luxuriating in the gorgeous sound from my new 809.....I can't properly review items like the others because I'm a bargain hunter...Haven't bought a new receiver in over 20 years....It's an illness and a way of life.....In a large, tall great room I'm using 4 Bic Venturi 3 way wall speakers with 8 inch woofers mounted up high and an old Infinity powered 1000 watt 15 inch woofer, Bose center speaker.....I bought the receiver for listening to electric jazz and soul music mainly, but, it totally shines as a home theater system......Absolutely silent during quiet sections...Impressive....Then brings it all to life, big time.....I can hear the wall speaker's woofers pumping and the subwoofer thundering and I'm flat loving it everyday....Delicious rich sound!..
....Things I would change?....The buttons are smallish and labeled in a dark color..I keep a little maglite next to it to find the right button in dimly lit times...There is a button for tv/cd and I wish I had separate one for each, I ended up plugging the CD into another input.
.....Letting you know I love my 809....I'm in tall cotton!...

  • 135 W/Ch, 8 ohms, 20 Hz20 kHz, 0.08, 2 channels driven, FTC
  • 135 W/Ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz?20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC) 145 W/Ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
  • 8 HDMI Inputs and 2 Outputs with support for 3D and Audio Return Channel
  • Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front & rear USB ports
  • 8 HDMI Inputs and 2 Outputs with support for 3D and Audio Return Channel; Network Capability

  • 135 W/Ch, 8 ohms, 20 Hz20 kHz, 0.08, 2 channels driven, FTC.135 W/Ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz?20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC) 145 W/Ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC).8 HDMI Inputs and 2 Outputs with support for 3D and Audio Return Channel.Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front & rear USB ports.8 HDMI Inputs and 2 Outputs with support for 3D and Audio Return Channel; Network Capability.

    With a THX-certified Onkyo A/V receiver, you know you're experiencing movie soundtracks the way they were recorded and produced to be heard. You're getting the power and nuance the director made for the cinema, the very best sound quality available, in your own home. This THX Select2 Plus certification is specified for rooms where the screen to-seat-viewing distance is 10 to 12 feet and the room volume is around 2000 cubic feet. THX Loudness Plus is included in the specification.

    Onkyo network A/V receivers give you access to more internet radio stations than any other brand...period.

    ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

    แสดงความคิดเห็น